Tuesday, September 9, 2008

To Accra on the West African coast of Ghana

From Tucson, Arizona, to Accra, Ghana, we are finally---at long last---on our way!!! So, Walker students, stay tuned in and connected and we will try our best to do the same. Please remember that our village is small and does not have all the amenities that a city would have. We will most likely have to get a ride to the nearby city of Elmina---or, in the opposite direction, to Takoradi---in order to find an internet cafe where we can plug in and get online.

Oh, and it bears mentioning that the school of which you have seen several photos on this blogsite was very, very recently built by volunteers. It has concrete floors and a thatched roof and contains four classrooms. Each classroom will handle several grade levels and as many as sixty children!! The kindergarten classroom , you may have noticed, is still without desks. They call it the kindergarten, but I believe it is for first and second grade also. We will soon find out!!!

Here we go!!!

10 comments:

Mark Thompson said...

Hi Aunty Mame... have fun. I'm proud of you. Ghana is soccer crazy, btw. do you need a school coach?

nephew Mark

Mark Thompson said...

One other thing Auntie Mame,

If your school has a futbol (soccer) team, perhaps one of our VA youth teams (like Grant's) could link up with them and send over some soccer gear (balls, shoes, jerseys, etc.).

Love to you,
Mark

Anonymous said...

I think that it is sad because they don't have desks.I also think that it is cool teaching in Africa music and regular teaching.Are they really good at soccer and what are the rules in soccer?Is it cool being in Afica.Also is it far to go to a cafe just to get online with Walker.Mrs.K and Mrs.L we really miss you at walker we hope you will visit some time sone to see us.Sckool is a lot different with you guys.Hope have lots of fun in Africa.

Anonymous said...

Ms.Lagen I hope you have fun in Ghana and we will miss you here at Walker.Also I was in your recent fourth grade class:)

Anonymous said...

hi Ms.Lagen you rocked last year as a teacher is till have the stuffed animal you gave us i reallly wanted you to stay here but its good that you`re tyring to help we miss you :(

TJ:):):) said...

Mrs.Kierzek it is Tyler Moore from walker last year I miss you so much I hope you wont forget me beacuse I will never forget you:)sing for life. Have fun in Africa.
Your best frind ever!!!!! Tyler:)

Anonymous said...

Ms.Langen how is it in Africa? We miss you guys here at Walker. What do you guys have to eat over there?I think that it is really sad how they don't have many things that we have over here. Do you think you guys will make good teachers over there? we miss you alot!

Anonymous said...

Ms.Lagen you were awesome last year as a teacher! I still have everything we did on the last day of school! We miss you alot you guys! Hopefully you guys will be good teachers.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Kierzek I miss you. Are you coming back?I wanted to konw how the weather is and what you have been eating? Our new music teacher is very nice but I'll never forget about you.I hope you have a lot of fun. Come and visit us.:):)

Anonymous said...

Hi it's Frankie I hope you remember me.It is so cool that you are in Ghana!We all miss you guys very very much!!!