Monday, September 22, 2008

From Ms. Lagen

Memoache! Good Morning in Fante
I have been here one week only, and it feels like a lifetime. I am already planning to return some time next year with Jim as a volunteer in the same village of about 2,000 people, called Brenu Askyinim. We are located in the Central Region on the Atlantic with the most magnificent beach, We walk the beach gathering shells, octopus backs, and sea glass as early as possible before the heat of the day.

The people are so warm and friendly everywhere I go. They are delighted that we use their everyday greetings every opportunity that we get.The young children flock around us and want their pictures taken so they can see themselves. They have a joy for life unmatched in America. Their toys consist of sticks, stones, shells, and fishermen's spools. Very creative!! No signs of technology which in many ways has retained their innocence.

School on the hilltop overlooking the sea began on Tuesday. I teach Junior High School math and English but spent this week setting up our library from scratch. Last term the school was on the beach so everything had to be hand carried 15 minutes up the hill. I mean everything. Students carried heavy desks attached to chairs on their heads. The JHSers pushed an enormous cart "truck" filled with books, exams, workbooks, etc. multiple times delivering them to me at the library. I recruited several industrious students to assist me. We categorized them very crudely and labeled the shelves with first aid tape. You need to be very imaginative when you do a task as the nearest stores are 12 miles away in Elmina or Cape Coast where we are today. I brought new items each day to entice kids into the library.One day it was wrap ups, a match manipulative, another day calculators, also a phonics game that in America would appeal to 6-7 year olds. Yesterday, I brought hula hoops, and they were a huge hit!!! More boys than girls go the swing of it quickly. Kids play "Cat in the Cradle" with string stretched between trees jumping between them and jacks with stones. Children from a young age farm with machetes, shimmy trees to get coconuts and fronds to weave for roofing material and privy enclosures. Young girls walk about the village selling extra produce from bowls and trays balanced on their heads. I have favorites but all of the kids hold their faces to the sun and are lovable.

Those of you who contributed to our adventure, "medase". We contributed $20 to help a family who had a tragedy this week at the farms nearby. A baby on mother's back had 2 fingers severed at the knuckle by a machete when she fell forward. We bought some school supplies today in CC. There are none at the schools. We brought 4 suitcases from America, but we couldn't anticipate everything. Walker children, your contributions have been invaluable. The level of math that I am teaching to 13-16 year olds matches Walker's 4/5th grade curriculum.

Our house is first class by their standards. We have electricity (unlike the school), running water, a flush toilet, a COLD shower and walls that reach the rooftop. The children always carry our supplies to and from school and peek into our home if they can. Others in the village live in all manner of crude structures and are grateful for a roof over their heads. Many unfinished structures stand until they can get funds to continue construction. Up on the hilltop near the school are several beautiful homes underway owned by African Americans who are benefactors to the community.

Communication from Ghana is very difficult. Last time we came to the city to an Intenet cafe, the network was down. I will try to write again in about a week. Until then........nantu ye. (good bye)

Much love, Akua Linda (Wednesday's child) a Ghanaian custom

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ms.Lagen are you having fun in Ghana?What do you eat there?Did you take your own food or do you eat there food?Do the children play games like tag and hide and see?Do they have musical instroments?Well hope you are having fun in Ghana!:)

Anonymous said...

I hope that you never forget LuLu Walker.We will never forget you because you will always be in our hearts.I hope that you will try to keep in touch with us as best that you can.Please give Mrs.Kierzek our thanks for being a part of LuLu Walker and we Walker Wolves would love to thank you for also being a part of this wonderful school.WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ms.Lagen I am new to this school.I heard cool things about you.This school is amazing everyone is being very nice but I miss my other school Miller Elementary school,and I miss my friends Alonzo and Anais.

Anonymous said...

Ms.Lagen I am new to this school.I heard cool things about you.This school is amazing everyone is being very nice but I miss my other school Miller Elementary school,and I miss my friends Alonzo and Anais.

Anonymous said...

o my god i hate ms.lagen and ms.kierzek

Anonymous said...

Eveth?!?! I always knew you were a bad kid. Don't use that bad language. Your being very rude. Your first comment was nice, then all of a suden your cursing. Whats wrong with you?