Thursday, October 16, 2008

Living by the sea

I have been walking along the beach most mornings before breakfast. It is a most peaceful experience and I do wish that I could bring it home with me to Tucson. The surf crashes night and day and puts me to sleep on these very steamy nights. We have a new companion, a young woman named Elizabeth who has come for two weeks from New Jersey to do volunteer work.. She is young and very warm and helpful and has been assisting me in my music classes, both on the hill where i teach junior High and Primary (elementary grades) and down on the beach where I've been doing the nursery and the Kindergartens. The children are so precious. Elizabeth is especially taken with the very young ones. Today, after we spent singing those good old kinder songs like "Where is Thumbkin?" and "Johnny Pounds with One Hammer" she stared tickling one child by his ears. It set up such a giggling circus that we were all on our sides with laughter!! Elizabeth has been very helpful in video taping the children while I'm teaching so there will be plenty for out Walker kids to see when we return.

The three of us, Ms. Lagen, Elizabeth, and I will be going to Kakum National Rainforest tomorrow and we'll be attending a special bamboo concert by a band called Kukyekukeyku. Really. The village it is in is to the east of the park and called Mosomagor. I am especially thrilled to see and hear this because I have noted that there is plenty of bamboo in this country. In fact, we passed miles and miles of it on our bus ride to Kumasi last weekend.

More photos are on the way. Some of them are from Kumasi. It is a huge city nut not at all like the huge cities in the U.S.!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mary and Linda, we'll be happy to have you back home and look forward to seeing more pictures when you get here.



From Mary's sister Jeanne