Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Destination: Ghana

Ms K and Ms L are scheduled to depart for Ghana and their new adventure as teachers in a foreign culture in September 2008.
As they are able, they will keep you informed of their activities, of their whereabouts, and of some experiences of interest. This site has been established for the benefit of their awesome students at Walker Elementary School and any others who may be curious as to the nature of their doings across the globe from Tucson, Arizona.
They are expecting the unexpected, that is, they don't really know what's about to happen except that they will find themselves in a new world. They have prepared for this undertaking---they have been inoculated for Malaria, Yellow Fever, Typhoid, and countless other threats that greet travelers afar. They have worked with an organization in the United Kingdom that places volunteers in positions of need in various spots throughout the world and have been accepted as volunteers by this organization. They have updated their passports, applied for visas (permission to enter a country) to Ghana, and purchased their airline tickets. They have agreed to serve where they are most needed in the country of Ghana, probably near or on the coast, possibly in the community of Brenu Akyinim.
What is more important, with the help of their many fine students at Walker School and some other generous folks, they have accumulated school supplies ranging from the "well, duh" to "huh?". They have pencils, tablets, scissors, rulers, as well as soprano recorders for making music. These are not things that all the children of Ghana have readily available to them. They will teach students English, the official language of the country of Ghana. Many children enter school without having spoken English, having grown up hearing only their tribal language. There are 46 languages spoken in Ghana, the most spoken being Twi, Fante, Ewe, Ga, Dagomba, and Halisa.
As they arrive in Accra, the capital city of Ghana, ladened with many pounds of supplies and luggage, they will meet with the leaders of their volunteer team and take a very quick class to introduce them to the country, the culture, and the language of Twi (pronounced "chwee").
As soon as they are able, they will post a new message to their kids at Walker. Stay tuned!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear mrs Kierzek & mrs Lagen I miss you guys a lot. I hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Lagen and Ms. Kierzek we all miss you here at walker!! Come and visit us here at walker when you arive back. hope you have a great time at Ghana and we'll see you later! :) =D =P =

Anonymous said...

HI MRS.LAGEN AND MRS. KIERZEK!

WHAT'S UP! HI THIS IS JESSICA LANGE. THE GIRL WITH GLASSES THAT WAS IN MRS. LAGEN'S CLASS :] NOW I HAVE CONTACT LENSES.

I'M IN MRS. SMITH'S CLASS. IS IT FUN THERE? WHEN ARE YOU BOTH COMING BACK? I SAW SOME PICTURES OF THE KIDS AND THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL. IF YOU'RE TEACHING IN SOME OF THE CLASSES THEN THOSE KIDS ARE VERY LUCKY TO HAVE YOU BOTH AS TEACHERS.

I KNOW THIS COMMENT IS VERY LONG, BUT I MISS YOU BOTH AND I HAVE A LOT TO SAY. I'M NOT EVEN CLOSE TO DONE YET.

NOW I'M A LITTLE BIT MORE WEIRD IN WHAT IN WHAT I WEAR AND HOW I ACT. NOW I WEAR BEANIES AND KNEE HIGH SOCKS. MABYE IF YOU COME BACK TO WALKER THIS YEAR YOU'LL SEE ME. HOW I ACT IS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME. BRIDGET AND I ARE GREAT FRIENDS NOW. THANK YOU FOR TEACHING ME ALL THAT AMAZING MATH AND WRITING. IT HELPS ME SO MUCH.

NOW FOR MRS. KIERZEK. YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL AND EXTRAORDINARY. I LOVE YOUR MUSIC AND THE WAY IN WHICH YOU DISIPLINED. YOU HAVE SUCH A GREAT HEART. I DIDN'T WANT YOU TO LEAVE. YOU HELPED ME BE A BETTER PERSON WITH THOSE HEART WARMING SONGS YOU WROTE. PLEASE COME BACK. I'M SAD WITHOUT YOU:[ ARE YOU HAVING FUN IN GHANA? I HOPE YOU ARE ANYWAY.

ALL THOSE KIDS PROBABLY LOVE YOU BOTH,BECAUSE I KNOW I DID. YOU BOTH WILL ALWAYS HAVE A NICE AND BIG SPOT IN MY HEART, AND I WILL NEVER LET GO OF THE MEMORIES THAT YOU LEFT ME WITH. :)

BEST WISHES!
LOVE THE ONE AND ONLY,
JESSICA LANGE!:]

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms.Lagen and Ms. Kierzek!!
It's Jecelle Muller! This is for Ms.Lagen! I miss you a lot i hope you come back and talk about Ghana! At my grampa's funaral I saw Ms.Kierzek! It was kind of surprising that she was there I did not know that she knew my grampa and grandma! That's really awesome!! I hope you have a wonderful time in Ghana and hopes and dreams await from me to you!!
This is to Ms. Kierzek!
I miss you as our music teacher! Mrs. Russle is so cool too!! I thought it was very nice of you too come to my grampa's funaral. That really cheeed me up. You have the best jewlery! I love them all!! You were the best music teacher here at Walker! i hope you and Ms.Lagen have a wonderful time in Ghana!
Hopes And Deams,
Jecelle Muller =D

Anonymous said...

Hi it's Jecelle!!
How is the food there? Is it cold or very hot?
If you could write back!!